It’s hard to deny that cannabis is slowly but surely losing its stigma. We may have a long way to go, but it’s clear that both society and politics are experiencing a massive shift in the right direction. A big contributing factor to this trend has been CBD, a cannabinoid that doesn’t get the user high but is likely able to help with pain and stress relief among many other claimed benefits. CBD has been a good introductory step for people who aren’t familiar with cannabis and may be intimidated by THC’s psychoactive effects. It’s also a nice alternative for people who already enjoy cannabis but want the option of not getting high for any number of reasons. CBD was becoming normalized and trendy before the 2018 Farm Bill was passed, but since the legalization of hemp the floodgates have opened, and even Americans living in states with the strictest cannabis laws have an abundance of CBD options at their fingertips.
The rise of self-care culture has also been instrumental in fighting stigma about cannabis use. The idea of being intentional about taking time to make yourself feel happy, loved, and cared for in order to ease the tensions of the day and preserve your mental health aligns perfectly with cannabis use. Cannabis induces feelings of euphoria and relaxation, and it can be consumed socially or in peaceful solitude. It’s also easy to pair with other self-care activities, like crafting, reading, or even just taking a bubble bath.
At the intersection of the stigma-fighting forces of CBD and self-care lies the hallowed CBD bath bomb. There’s a good reason these things are in featured in every CBD related storefront and website. Mixing the relaxing and relieving properties of CBD with suds and warm water just makes sense. And what better self-care night could there be than smoking, making your own CBD bath bomb, and then reaping the rewards of a luscious and fragrant bath? We’ve provided the ultimate CBD bath bomb recipe for you here so you can skip the guesswork and get right to the fun stuff.
Whisk / Spoon
Bath Bomb Mold
½ cup baking soda
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup Epsom salt
¼ cup citric acid
1-1 ½ tsp water
1 tsp. essential lavender oil
¼ tsp CBD oil
- Combine the dry ingredients (baking soda, cornstarch, epsom salt, citric acid) in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mix has no clumps. If you are including color, combine after Step 4.
- Combine the wet ingredients (water, essential lavender oil, CBD oil) in a small bowl. Thoroughly stir until CBD oil has been evenly distributed.
- Slowly combine and stir the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. If the mixture begins to fizz or foam, you are pouring the wet ingredients in too quickly. Slow and steady wins the race here!
- Once all the ingredients are evenly mixed, the consistency should be like wet sand--think sand castles. Test a small amount in your hand by squeezing a small clump. If the mixture sticks together, great! If not, continue to add small drops of water until the consistency is right. If using color, mix in during this step.
- Pack each half of the mold with mixture until there is a slight overflow. Don’t pack too densely. Press the mold halves together and hold firmly for a few seconds. (You can sprinkle extra mixture on top of each half before pressing together to help both sides stick.)
- Gently twist and remove the top half of the mold. Secure the bottom half with exposed top half so that it can’t roll, and allow the bathbomb to dry for around 20 minutes.
- Gently twist and remove the bottom half of the mold. Allow the bath bomb to dry for at least a few hours. For best results allow it to dry for 24 hours to completely firm up.
- Store your bath bomb in a dry place until you can enjoy it! When you’re ready to use it, fill the bathtub up with hot water, drop your CBD bath bomb in, and soak for at least 20 minutes to relax.
Have you made your own CBD infused products before? Are you gonna try this recipe out? Let us know how it goes in the comments below!